Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Texas De Brazil




As a general rule, Brazilian food is just that: Brazilian food. Don't get me wrong, whenever you decide to pony up the extra cash that it takes to dine in a Brazilian restaurant, the food is far above average to say the least.

I've made my pilgrimage to the Houston Fogo-de-chau location on numerous occasions and have never once had a complaint about the food. Through my many, but not particularly happy trips to Dallas, I have frequented many different average to considerably above average restaurants. I have thoroughly enjoyed many of them, but none moreso than Texas-De-Brazil. The food is very comparable to Fogo-De-Chou but that is where the comparison ends. Fogo has become very comercial over the years and their personal relationships with their customers has suffered for this very reason. Their food is great, as usual, but they rush you in and out like they are moving so many cattle to market. Gone are the personal relationships and special treatment unless you are obviously among the very elite. Texas-De-Brazil, on the other hand is one of those places that you feel an imediate sense of comfort whenever you walk in the door.

The bar immediately greets you and is very inviting, to say the least.The wine list is extensive and very considerable. The premium, "by the glass" list is mainly comprized of Itallian, Spanish, Chillean and Argentinian wines; although the overall list is quite extensive. I settled on an Argentinian Malbec from Mendoza, Argentina. Four glasses later, I was not in the least disapointed and had not the slightest inclination to change to another brand. When I asked to be seated in the dining room, I was treated with the utmost dignity, even thought I was dining alone during one of their obvious busy periods. I was greeted by a manager by the name of Traian. He pronounced it to me a couple of times and when my limited comprehention of any dialect other than the English language made itself evident, he asked me to refer to him as "T", which was alright by me. He was very attentive, even though my obvious single status suggested the possibility of a "not very impressive" tip. He was anxious to answer any and all of my questions and was very helpfull when I needed something. Incidentally, I left a 20+ percent tip on a bill that totaled up to a C-Note plus pocket change. For one person for dinner, I consider that on the upper end of the spectrum, but based on the food and service, you won't hear the slightest complaint from me.

After dinner, I looked at their cigar selection which was small, but impressive to say the least. Imagine my surprize when they had my favorite, and in my opinion, the top of the line in "legal" cigars right in the front of the humidor, and at a very reasonable price. I was able to get a 6" torpedo, Perdomo Edicion-De-Silvio for 29.00. Believe me, I have bought more than a few of these at 40 bucks each and I have had more than a few personal conversations with Nick Perdomo himself. When I made my purchase, I fully well expected to have to take it with me and find another place to enjoy it. Imagine my surprize when the manager came up to me at the bar and insisted that I have another drink and enjoy my cigar at their bar. In my opinion, this is the best bar and after hours relaxation spot in the entire city of Dallas. (I would probably throw 95 percent of Houston into that mix also). If I had to rate this place on a 1 to 10 basis, It would get as close to 10s across the board as any place that I have been in quite a while.

By the way, these guys send me a free meal invitation on my birthday and my wife and my aniversary every year, and I have only been here twice before. Until I find a better place, this one is right at the top of my list right along side of Perry's in Houston.

Billy Chilton
(281) 546-1792
Houston Cuisine
Diary of an Amateur Food Critic

No comments:

Post a Comment